Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It just feels right

Yesterday was a nice puttering around the house kind of day. i took off the summer decorations and put the autumn ones in place....which are by far my favorite. The warmth that autumn colours bring to a home is so lovely and wonderful...and oddly relaxing. Plus i love to change the decorations...not really one of those every holiday kind of folks...i don't have enough talent or patience for that...but seasons plus Christmas.

As i was doing this i came upon some very old linens that i have that were my Irish great grandmother and grandmother's. They are old and wonderful and embroidered in spots and Irish tatting on others and doilies and....so much. So i determined to starch a good bit of them and place some around my home as well. A bureau scarf on my hope chest, a nice crocheted item on the mantel under all the fall decorations, a autumn hankie as part of the dining room table decor.

And then i started in on the linen napkins and other hankies that i have. Starched the napkins and put them in the buffet and ironed the hankies (ladies hankies...i must have around 50 of them...my grandmother put a new one in her pocketbook every day...she was very proper that way) and put them in the dresser drawer. i intend to use them.

And it just feels so right to use things that have been passed down to me...generations old, nice wonderful linens..surrounding myself with my heritage.

2 comments:

tony said...

The Fabric Of Our Lives!

Queen of France said...

Yes! (that would be a much better jingle then for cotton!)